Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Annette and Kwame...


Annette
The nurses were rude and hostile. But I expected that, welcomed it even. This was not supposed to be an enjoyable experience for me. The doctor walked in. As he stared at me I rationalised that I was imagining the expression of disgust on his face, the one that matched the look the nurses had given me earlier; the look that had raised Addie’s protective instincts and had her nearly cussing out the nurses. He started to explain the procedure to me, he said I was two months along and that meant the procedure should be simple though I would still require anaesthesia, I stared at his lips moving and fear gripped me. I couldn’t believe I was actually doing this. I wondered if I would die like those girls in the Ghanaian movies always did. I wondered if I would feel evil afterwards. I wished I would die on the table then at least I wouldn’t have to live with this choice.



I walked into the clinic reception. Taking halting steps, I couldn’t move faster if I wanted to. I saw Addie sitting in a corner and beside her, Kwame?  What was he doing here? They noticed me and walked over to me. “Is it over already? Wow that was fast. Why didn’t you wait for me to come get you” Addie peppered me with questions. 
Shaking my head I turned to Kwame and asked “what are you doing here?”
“You didn’t fool me in school, sweetie. I picked the tests from the bin you dumped them in. I followed you to Accra, and called Addie. I hoped to stop you before you did this, baby you didn’t have to do this, I love you and I would have loved the baby. I want to be with you. We would make it work, I’m sorry you had to...” 
“I didn’t do it, I couldn’t do it, I just couldn’t...” my voice broke as I started to cry 
“sshhhh its ok sweetie” he said gathering me into his arms “it’s ok. We will make it work, okay. I’m here for you.” I hugged him tight looking over his shoulder my gaze met Addie’s. 
She smiled at me with tears streaming down her face.  
Thoughts, regrets, worries rush through my brain. 
As she looks at me her smile is replaced with a puzzled expression. I smiled back tremulously. 
It was going to be okay. 
Somehow we would make it work, so what if the baby wasn’t Kwame’s. 

1 comment:

  1. what..what?!!!
    the plot thickens....Aichaa, please update soon

    ReplyDelete